Friday, July 11, 2008

The Vaselines at Southpaw

I was pretty afraid of being disappointed tonight, I admit. After all, the Vaselines broke up so long ago (...when I was 1 or so) and haven't been back together aside from a handful of appearances. Nevertheless, I was extremely psyched when I heard back in May about their two NYC dates before the Sub Pop 20th Anniversary Festival.

They didn't disappoint. They were as sassy, cute and funny as I expected them to be. It was a friendly, intimate atmosphere, with a little bit of Q&A during the banter. ("What is 'Molly's Lips' about if it isn't about oral sex?" asked an audience member.) It was also somewhat surprising how their voices sounded the same as they did on the records. Another pleasant surprise was Stevie, Bobby and Richard guesting as the backing band.

Now, I've been to many concerts so far in my short concert-going career, but this gig felt historic. The Vaselines aren't getting back together and aren't touring --- this was pretty much one-off. For instance, above. The larger sheet of paper is the set list with notes on the left margin detailing which guitar Eugene to use ("red" or "black"). The smaller sheet lists the order of verses for "You Think You're A Man" (how many times Frances or Eugene sings the chorus, and in which order). The band haven't played these songs in a while, and probably won't for a very long time.

No comments: