Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Crystal Castles at Studio B

Second time seeing these guys. Tight set-- their music translate a lot better live than on record. Took these for Loose Record.

I don't think I'm experienced or important enough to elaborate in depth about shooting notes, but from my previous encounter with Crystal Castles (opening for Metric at Webster Hall), I knew that they use a LOT of strobe. So I knew I wanted to drag the shutter and toy around. I found myself in three modes 1. Narrower aperture + dragged shutter (around 1 second to 3/10), 2. Playing it straightforward (f/2.8 and 1/60 - 1/125), and 3. using the speedlite (not preferred). I figured the strobe-y photos would be truer to the atmosphere of the concert: disorientating and restless. It wasn't the easiest concert to shoot, as there was a raucous crowd and no photo pit, but it was certainly fun.

Full set at Flickr.

No comments: