Friday, January 15, 2010

Don't Mess with Texas

I had to skip the Drums and Gang Gang Dance because of a family trip to Sugar Land and Houston, Texas. Here's my favorite photo:
Kinda crazy, right? As a urbanite who doesn't know how to drive, I felt extremely out of place there. I always forget how spacious America is and how that space is often poorly planned. How many strip malls and cul-de-sacs does this nation really need? I know it is unrealistic for every American to subscribe to high-density city living, but I couldn't help but be disheartened by the urban sprawl and car culture I encountered in the southwest.

1 comment:

Jamie said...

I think my relationship to strip mall/driving culture was officially cemented as "bad" when I found myself vomiting outside of a Red Lobster in Tom's River, NJ.